Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Next step....

Tuesday 5th February 2013


Next appointment with my Oncologist is March 1st.  Bloods to be drawn, prior to seeing her and they will test to see if I am menopausal. I will also find out my regime of future tests/visits and all about my hormonal therapy for the next five years.
Tamoxifen (hormone therapy drug) will be taken daily for the five years.  It comes with a list of possible side effects.  I will do everything I can to minimise any side effect, the first being, "It ain't happening"... power of the mind!

My first radiation appointment is tomorrow.  I will have a CT and they will run through all the treatment procedures, give me my tatt (marking) where they will direct the radiotherapy.
Radiotherapy is painless (will be nice not having to have a cannula in) however, side effects may occur during or after treatment. (even months later)

Common side effects:
Skin becomes red and dry (like sunburn)
Skin becomes darker
Tired

The big tip for Radiation therapy:  DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU!
I will definitely do this, as I have done with my chemo treatment and thankfully got through it ok.

I'm excited to be heading into my next treatment with a great Radiation Oncologist.  Having a wonderful medical team, sure does help!

The other night, I whispered to my husband, with the fear of jinxing myself:
 "Can you believe I have managed to get through 6 cycles of chemo without vomiting or too many side effects".

6 months ago, all I wanted to know is "am I going to die???"  I was petrified of having surgery (let alone two) indifferent about chemo and radiation and putting up a front "I'm ok" for my family and friends.

Chemo is tough bloody work, you can feel the drugs oozing from your pores and whilst I didn't have many side effects, I feel for those who do.   Like them, I will do everything to ensure, I have a long life with my family.
I omitted the word 'happy',  I don't feel  I need to add that.  I am happy, I am probably the happiest I have ever been.  I'm comfortable in my skin and can appreciate all things in life, the good, bad and damn right ugly.

BC has taught me:  life is not perfect, nor is a marriage, home life and work life.
Crappy things happen, it doesn't matter if you are the president of a country, CEO of a large organisation, religious or just a little girl, crappy things happen!
I think it's the way we handle these situations and how we handle ourselves during these times that make us who we are.

For the record:

I am not Amazing, I am not a Hero, I'm not even Superwoman (well maybe LOL) , I'm Sharon!  A woman diagnosed with Breast Cancer, undergoing treatment with her boxing gloves on and fighting to survive.

Remember, as crappy as  you feel today about life, whether it be about money, health, weight etc, it could be so much worse.

Be kind to yourself and take the time to ask a friend "are you ok?

With love
Shaz xxx

1 comment:

  1. You say you are not "amazing", a "hero", or "superwoman" (mind you - I think you are) but you are my friend, and I am damn proud to say that. Whilst I feel helpless supporting you from the other side of the country, you know you are always in my thoughts. Love you girls. xx

    ReplyDelete