Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What a long day

23rd October 2012

WOW, yesterday was such a long day.

Had my physio appointment at 11.40am and am pleased to report my arm has just about got full movement (1 degree to go)
Hubby and I went and had lunch after physio as my Oncologist/Chemo appointment was at 1.15pm

1.10pm came and we headed up to the 4th floor, walked into the Oncologist rooms and the waiting room was full.  BUGGER!!!!  We waited over an hour and finally, I was called in.  Prof Chan went through my bloods, all good, but need Vit D supplements (very common in WA women apparently)
Went through results of MRI and every thing is good,  as was my heart scan :)
Prof Chan then discussed my chemo regime, talked about all my anti nausea meds and any side effects I may get.  After thanking her, we headed to pharmacy to order the chemo and get all the meds.

As the chemo unit was full, I was to have my first cycle of chemo on the ward.  We had to go to admissions first and of course waited for ever.  Finally we were seen, then headed up by ourselves to level 2, found our bed then waited for the chemo nurse.

I was prepped with a cannula, then waited for the chemo to arrive.  TAC is abbreviated for the chemo drugs and I was to have the red drug (strongest first) this is the one that can cause mouth ulcers so I was to suck on 2 icypoles then a cup of ice.  Purpose of this is to keep the mouth cold whilst both syringes were pushed though my system over 15 minutes.
2nd chemo drug took an hour to run through with a 10 min saline flush after.
My 3rd and final drug took 20 mins to run and boy was I ready to get home.

Hubby and I arrived home at 7.30pm and after chatting with the kids, out them to bed, ate dinner, hubby did the ironing we headed to bed at 9.45pm.  We managed to sleep right through the night without me having to get up and down for the loo or nausea tabs.

Woke this morning and feel ok but tired.  Spending the day on the lounge catching up on tv and pottering about the house.

I'm so glad my first cycle is over and I know it's early days,  but as long as I keep thinking about the end result, everything that my body throws at me, I will handle.

Thank you everyone for all the love and support.  You all make me feel very loved and strong.

with love
Shaz xxxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment