Saturday, September 1, 2012

What a week

Saturday 1st September


6pm on Saturday night and finally I am able to sit at my Mac and update my blog.

The week since my surgery has been one of pain, discomfort, tears and blessings.
Let's go back to surgery day:

Monday 27th August:
Woke early after a very late night watching tv with my hubby.  Showered, picked up my bag, kiss on my babies cheeks was ready for the drive into The Mount.
Driving in I was so scared of what to expect and so thankful to have my best friend of 17 years by my side.
After parking the car we made our way to admissions.  Room was packed and after a brief look around realised I was the youngest person in the room (apart from my hubby) "Holy shit..."  Hubby had to stand as no seats were available.  After what seemed hours (was actually 15 mins) my name was finally called,  we answered some questions and was then led up to the ward.

Unfortunately I was in a shared room BUGGER!!!  My surgeon's breast nurse came to introduce herself and gave me an "early breast cancer book" and all I remember her saying was "curable".

blur, blur,  blur, .... me curable, me????? did she just say me curable??????

I changed into my sexy nightie NOT! and got into bed ready to be wheeled down to theatre.  We put the tv on and both sat and watched.  The physio came in (funny asian lady with a posh english accent) measured my arms so she had a guide to go off if swelling occurred later.
I had removed my contact lens and had my glasses on.  Oh I loath wearing glasses, they make me feel so ugly and old.
Next minute, 2 young people came in,  ready to take me to theatre.  They asked me to remove my glasses after telling them I was blind as a bat, they agreed for me to wear them to theatre.

This is when I starting to freak out, I wasn't ready, I wanted to see my babies again and I had told my hubby how much i loved him.  Hell, I hadn't even kissed him 'goodbye"  My love came with me to the lifts, kissed me and I could feel the tears building up in both of us. (I have tears building up whilst typing this)  I turned my head and heard myself say "I've got this'.  With that the lift doors opened and I was pushed in.

On arrival on the 3rd floor I was placed into a waiting bay.  After checking why I was having surgery and name and DOB checked the anesthetist came to see me.  I told him I was very anxious (first GA) and he said he would give me a premed.
Surgeon then came in and drew markings on my left breast and underarm as to where he was going to cut.  I had tears streaming down my face, whilst he did this.  He promised he would look after me.  Yes, I was in safe hands.  When I was wheeled into  theatre, I noticed I was in theatre 6, my fav number, had to mean something right?

Laying on the bed ready to be put to sleep was weird, we talked about the kids.... next minute I was awake and in recovery.   My hubby said I was gone for over 3 hours and he was getting anxious.

I was so relieved to be taken back to the ward and see my hubby.  My dear friend drove my babies and Dad into see me.  I was over the moon to see them and I felt good.

Miss 13 year old had to play in her 1st semi final at netball so hubby went home to organise dinner and go and watch her.  My good friend stayed with me, even though I slept on and off and I'm thankful for her watching over me.
Miss 13 and the team lost the semi by 2 but played an unbelievable game of netball.  Well done girls, I am so proud of  you all.

That night I told hubby not to return to the hospital as it was getting late and wanted him and the kids to have a good nights sleep.



Tuesday 28th August

Had a crap night.  Nurses coming in and checking on me, giving me pain meds, getting me up for the loo and checking BP and O2 levels.  Had to go on oxygen during the night as my pulse was low.

Today was spent sleeping, having a liver U/S and getting monitored every 4 hours.

Wednesday 29th August

Surgeon came to see me and said he was happy with how things went and if I wanted I could go home.  Thankfully hubby was on his way in and as soon as he arrived we were long gone.

So glad to be home, hubby put me straight to bed and I slept alittle.  Couldn't wait to see my kids when they finished school.


Wednesday 20th - Saturday 1st September

Hubby and kids have been amazing, have done everything around the house and have made sure I have rested up.

I have shed a few tears, the drain left in my back has been uncomfortable.  I can't wash my hair or shower properly as I can't get the drain wet.  My friend washed my hair bless her and tonight Miss 13 washed my hair.
I have blisters where the drain is rubbing and they are bloody itchy.  I have been taking my pain meds but hate the way they make me feel.  I have slept alot, which is good as I'm a believer in sleep being a big factor in recovery.

I saw the nurse at The Mount today and all is well with my wounds, no infection in sight YAH!  I will however more than likely have the drain until Friday DISLIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's better to have the drain than a needle aspirating the gunk from my body.


I have had so many emails, texts, FB messages and cards of good health sent to me and I would like to thank  you all.

Friday 7th Sept, I get my results and will know what the next step is to a full recovery.  Whatever treatment needs to be done, will get done "i've got this"

Off to watch the Dockers with my family.

Yes, today after a bloody long week, i can actually say "my glass (and drain) is half full"

Lots of love
Shaz xxxxxx







No comments:

Post a Comment