Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Really??? oh ok!


On Tuesday 14th of August 2012 at 2.10pm I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. 

I was sat in my GP's office with my husband of 14 years and was told "I'm sorry, it's bad news". 
My life flashed by..... I have 2 beautiful children, a husband who I adore, a father who is heartbroken after we lost Mum with Mesothelioma not even 2 years ago and now I have Breast Cancer... WTF!

Rewind:  
We were enjoying a gorgeous holiday in Bali with beautiful friends, when I felt a lump in my left breast.  I have never felt a lump before and this one was large, hard and wasn't in my breast when I went to bed.

We arrived home and I called for an appointment with my GP.  She has reduced her hours, so I had to wait a week for the appointment.  "Yes, hmmm, I can feel the lump".  "Please make an appointment for a Mammogram, U/S and biopsy if needed"  
First available appointment was another 9 days away, Monday 13th August, 11.30am.

Monday 13th:  Our day started as normal, kids off to school and I cleaned up the house before my 10.20am Volleyball game.

11;30am:  Went in for my Mammogram.  I had to giggle as the lady had to change the film to a larger size, me and my big girls!
After they were satisfied with the Mammogram films, I was taken into the U/S room.  Was asked if I they could U/S both breasts. The doctor was thorough and when he went to the left breast (lump side) he spent alot of time on my underarms.  Alarm bells were ringing and I knew the next step was "biopsy".
I have never had a biopsy, strange sensation and I was so scared.  With a reassuring smile, the doctor started taking samples.
I lay on the table, whilst this strange man took samples from my breast and lymph node with tears streaming down my face.... oh why me?

Tuesday 14th:  Day again started as normal, I was out and about seeing to my errands.  Arrived home, unpacked my shopping, started to make lunch when I noticed a missed call on my mobile and a voicemail message.  It was my GP asking me to call her on her mobile ASAP.
I called and she said "where are you?, can you please come in for your husband ASAP"  I answered yes and called my hubby straight away.

We arrived at the clinic and waited 3 minutes, ushered into my GP's office and was told ""I'm sorry, it's bad news"

I have an appointment with the Breast Clinic at Mount Hospital, we have private insurance and was told that is the best place to go, on Thursday 16th August at 3pm.

We came home, had a bloody big cry and off to tell my Dad.  Hardest thing I have had to do and couldn't get the words out.  I asked Dad to let our family in England know.

We then went to pick our gorgeous children up from school.  When we arrived home, I waited until they sorted themselves out and then asked them to sit down. 

{how on earth can I tell them... look at them, they are babies.....}  
With a deep breathe  I told them I had Breast Cancer.  Our big girl cried and asked "are you ok?"  She is so amazing.  Our little fella just sat and listened, we could see him thinking. We asked if they had questions, told them if they had any we would write them down and ask the doctor on Thursday.  
We all had a laugh "gee Mum always wanted smaller boobs"

I immediately started telling friends, after telling the family, I want those I care about to hear it from me, I hate gossip.

I am overwhelmed with the outpouring of love,  My beautiful family and  I THANK YOU.  The love and support is humbling and you all make me feel so much stronger.

This is just the start of our journey, I say "our"  as everyone that knows my family, knows we do EVERYTHING together.

My glass has and will always be half full.

Until next time, be kind to each other and tell your loved ones how much you love them.

Shaz xxx

5 comments:

  1. Sending love, strength and peace to an amazing woman with a wonderful family. Looking forward to following your blog as you kick butt on this shitty journey life has thrown at you. I am one person amongst SO many who love you lots. Danielle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We (Steve, Grace, Lily, SJ and ^Shannon^) are right here with you my gorgeous friend. I am so happy you decided to start this. I love you always

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may not have known you long Sharon, and we have not met under the best of circumstances, but what I do know is that you come across as a kind, genuine, caring person with a great sense of humour!! You have given so much, now let others give to you a bit and let you sense of humour carry you through the tough times.......we are all right here to help you when you need it! With our glasses together we have a full glass :0)) MWAH!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Sharon,
    As I've been reading your blog lots of feelings have been streaming back to me from nearly 3 years ago when my sister was diagnosed and was faced with the same feeling as yourself. Cancer has no discrimination but I can't help but ask why my family or why your family. We are so lucky to have a close family and that's what gets us through everyday with also the help of our friends. I'm thinking of you always and I know that this glass of yours will become full again as you kick cancers butt! Sending good vibes your way everyday.
    Jodie xxx

    ReplyDelete