Saturday, August 18, 2012

Stress, Tears and Bubbles

Friday 11pm


Boy what a long day at the hospital, I am so tired :(

I went alone, Dad would of gladly come with me  but I knew it would be such a long day for him that I decided to take a book and sit alone.

When I arrived at the Mount, couldn't find a park, drove around again and thankfully got one.  The parking attendant asked "can you reverse park"  I chuckled to myself as I answer "of course".

I was early so sat in the car awhile and checked emails.
At 10.05 I made my way up to level 2 to have my CT scan.  I was given the choice of Orange or Blackcurrant drink and told to drink 2 cups quickly then sip the rest over an hour.
Good news was I didn't have to hold the fluid :)  Of course I went for a pee and could hear someone calling me..

I followed the young man into an area and was told to take everything off and put on the gown.  When I had changed, we went into the CT room.  I was asked to lay on the bed... {OMG my legs are SOOO hairy... I had to cancel 2 waxing appointments this week}  "please ignore my very hairy legs"  with that he covered them up with a blanket and said "this is to keep you warm, i'm not covering the hairy legs" I was so embarrassed and lay quietly as he put a cannula in and hooked me up to the contrast dye.

With my arms above my head, I was asked to listen to the CT machine and do what it instructed - "breathe in, breathe out"
After a 10 minute scan, he cleaned up my arm (blood was everywhere) and strapped the cannula so it wouldn't catch on my cardigan.

I changed then went to pay, holy shit $709!

I had alittle time to  kill before my visit to Nuclear Medicine, so grabbed the chance to call my hubby and fill him in. (hubby had to work as a staff member had the day off)  Talking with my life partner always calms me, we have been together 17 years and when we met, I had red hair and was VERY fiery (hmmmm, yes I have to admit I was)  This gentle soul is laid back,  takes a lot to wind him up (I've tried)

sorry... rambling

Anyway, I headed up to level 4 and finally found Nuclear Medicine.  I've found all departments at The Mount to have such great staff.  I was greeted with a smile and asked to fill in paper work.  Once completed,  I was taken into a cubicle  had bloods taken and injected with  radioactive tracers.

I now had a 3 hour wait and had to drink 2l of fluid.  Time for lunch and start drinking the water.  I had to ask a number of people in the coffee shop to keep an eye on my water and book as I needed to pee.

3;15pm, I was taken into see "Mikey",  he is the machine that was going to scan my body.  I was told it would scan my head for 7 mins and it would be close to my face. {OMG OMG OMG... claustrophobic"}  Tears rolled down my face, then I began to shake.  I was comforted by a gorgeous young lady who reassured me I would be ok.  The doctor came in and asked if I need my hand held.  With a "no, I'm ok" the 45 minute scan started.

Mikey scanned my body, then did more scans of my head left/right and ribs left/right.

When finished, I was told the doc wanted to see me. {OMG OMG}  As I walked into reception, the doctor walked out with 2 glasses... Champagne glasses, filled 1/2 way with Bubbles, "Congratulations bone scan i clear"

OMG.... WHAT..... OMG..... My hands went to my face and I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed.  I asked this gorgeous man, who had just told me by body scan was cancer free, if I could hug him.  I gave him the biggest hug.  I then cried some more and even had the receptionist crying.  I was given cheese and biscuits to go with my bubbles and I stayed for 15 minutes and chatted with them.  We talked about our kids, my Mum's mesothelioma and cancer.

When I walked out I couldn't wait to call my hubby.  I wept as I told him my 'good news'.
I can now cross that test off my worry list.

On Monday I see my surgeon at 4;45pm and get the CT results.  I hope with all my being that it comes back clear.

Yes, my glass was half full yesterday and to top it off,  it had bubbles in it.

lots of love
Shaz xxxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment